James Hotchkiss Rogers (1857-1940) was born in Fair Haven, Connecticut, and received early instruction in Lake Forest, Illinois, where his family had settled. He travelled overseas to studied in Europe for five years. Returning to the U.S., he settled in Cleveland, Ohio. He was organist at Euclid Ave. Temple, a position held until his retirement in 1932, and he was organist for Shaker Hts. Neighborhood Church and First Unitarian Church. He taught at the Cleveland School of Music and was music critic for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Rogers believed his role as critic was not to discourage but rather to encourage and advise. When a dancer performed in an outrageous red costume, he wrote, “all things considered, the orchestra did very well.” After retirement, he moved to Pasadena, California, living there until his death. His large compositional output includes works for organ, cantatas, songs, and instruction books for both piano and organ.
All are mixed chorus unless noted; some contain divisi.