Charles P. Morrison (1837-1909) was born in East Derry, New Hampshire. The family moved to Newburyport, Massachusetts, where he studied vocal and instrumental music. He returned to Derry, living with relatives, and graduated from Pinkerton Academy. He went back to Newburyport and taught music. After serving in the Union army in the Civil War, he settled in Worcester, Massachusetts. There he taught music, conducted the local orchestra, and played the organ in several churches including St. Mary’s Church in Newburyport, when he signed an endorsement of Mason & Hamlin reed organs. In 1879, he moved to St. Louis, Missouri as head of the music department at Washington University. In 1908, he became ill, went blind, and returned to his hometown where he died. His compositions include masses, anthems, hymns, and songs. He published keyboard and vocal instruction manuals, two volumes of anthems, three school song-books, and a history of Gregorian requiem masses.
All are mixed chorus unless noted; some contain divisi.